Saturday, August 13, 2005

Boy! The Japanese Sure Are Weird!

...And I say this purely from a Western point of view.

Last night a late 20s/early 30s Japanese man entered the restroom. He had the coolest outfit on. He was wearing jeans, a sport coat, and a t-shirt. Despite the fact that the restroom is dimly lit, he was wearing a pair of gold-rimmed sunglasses. His frosted, shoulder-length hair was not the best part of his outfit, though. He was wearing snake skin boots with silver tips. He knew he looked cool, too. He was strutting his stuff like Tony Manero.

Sometimes I wish I could pull that off.

Japanese culture is so different from American and European cultures. One can easily spot a Japanese tourist by the way they dress. Those of Japanese ancestry, but were born in the States, don't stand out as much. No one can pull off neon yellow Pumas, red corduroy pants, a velour jacket, a feather boa*, and anime hair quite like a visitor from Tokyo. I really wonder why that is. I know for a fact that I cannot pull it off. Believe me, I've tried. I still have emotional scars that will never go away.

When I was young, my dad used to tell me that Japanese culture was all based on U.S. culture. The United States was the be all and end all for them. It was all about James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. In other words, they ate that shit up. Or, so I was told. How little I knew of Japan back then.

Hell, I still know nothing about Japan. Who am I kidding? I used think I knew so much about Japan because I watched Akira and Ghost in the Shell a butt-load of times. I was so cool back then.

Where am I going with this? Oh, yeah. The Japanese sure are weird from a western eye. I wonder what Japanese tourists say when they look at me? I shudder to think. I have so many complaints about myself that I don't need to add to the list.


*okay... So I exaggerated a bit on that one.
note: Please don't take offense to this post. It's my lame attempt at being funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home