Friday, December 02, 2005

I Couldn't Wait to Get Home to Share This One

I woman walked into the restroom tonight with a look of absolute horror on her face. I let her know which stalls were open, but she just stood there. Like many people who are stunned about the restroom, I tried to coax her into a stall.

"Go ahead, ma'am. These stalls are open." I motioned towards the open stalls.

She just stood there with the same look on her face. Eventually she blurted out, "Is this both men and women?"

"Yes, ma'am. It's unisex."

"Why?"

Uh oh.

I never had anyone ask me that question. Most people are pleased as punch to see a unisex restroom in the States. I had to think of something fast.

"Well," I stated before briefly pausing, "the owners decided to have a unisex restroom."

That was good, huh?

The quick-witted woman she was, she came back with: "Why? What's the point?"

At this point I could feel a headache coming on. I was not prepared for this woman. How was I to explain the point of any bathroom without being vulgar or reviewing basic hygiene? I decided to state, "There's no point, ma'am. It's just a restroom. I have no other options for you. I'm sorry."

"Well that's just weird," she complained. " I don't like this. Not one bit."

She eventually -- albeit reluctantly -- entered a stall to do her business. I knew this was not the end of her complaints. She came out of the stall and had some more things to say.

"Well, you should tell your owners that this is a bad idea."

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to do. I was going to approach the owners and let them know that they have to tear down their very beautiful restroom. Perhaps I should make up my own plans for a new, improved restroom that is partitioned? Yes, that's it. Let me go tell my owners right now. I'm sure they won't mind spending a large amount of money to tear up the restroom. Pipefitters are really inexpensive to hire. It'll be a simple task that will only take a few hours.

"Okay, I'll let them know."

"I'll never come here again," she said as she exited the restroom.

As she waited for the elevator, I could tell that she had more things to say. Before long, she came up to me and said the following:

"Tell them they tried it in the 60's. It didn't work then, either."

The elevator opened up and I never saw her again.

It's not as though our restaurant is trying to create a national craze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home