Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Knight in Armor with a Dull Finish

Along with the holidays comes increased drinking.

Along with increased drinking comes vomiting.

As you know from previous posts, I come in contact with vomiters. It's not the most pleasant part of my job, but I'm really not responsible for cleaning up such messes. Thank the Lord for small favors.

Last Friday evening a woman entered a stall and was in there for fifteen or so minutes. I though nothing of it because it was a little busy.

After she exited, a man used the stall. He came out and said, "Someone vomited in there. I thought you'd like to know that."

I thanked him, thinking he was the responsible party. I then put two and two together. He was not in there long enough to do such damage. Quickly I came to the conclusion that the woman that used the stall before him was responsible.

I chose to ignore the stall and direct people to other stalls. I did not want to deal with it.

Until I saw her again.

She came in and waited for me to direct her to a stall. As I turned around I noticed she was talking to a couple. All were members of the same Christmas party. They asked her if she was okay and she gave rather morose looking shake of the head. She then puffed up her cheeks as if she was holding her breath.

That is something that will be forever etched in my brain.

I was not about to take any chances. I directed her to the same stall she used previously. Why dirty up more than one? Her stall was already dirty.

She spent the next 45 minutes or so in the stall. As time ticked on I became increasingly concerned. What if she was passed out? What if she bonked her head on the toilet and was now in a coma? What if she was dead? These are things I have to consider, y'know?

With the help of my manager we tracked down someone in the party to go and talk to her. She requested her husband and he came to the rescue. (Okay, not really, but you'll soon find out that he was not really a knight in shining armor.) He entered the stall and stayed in there with her for about another 20 minutes.

Eventually he came out of the stall. I asked if she was okay. He said she was and that he was going to go get her stuff so they could leave.

A half an hour later he eventually came to get her. They finally left. She looked like death warmed over. End of story.

This begs the question: Where was he this whole time?

I'd be extremely concerned if my fiance went missing for an hour or so. Especially in a small party of 20 or 30 people in a restaurant. I could easily be distracted for a while talking to friends, but I would eventually seek her out to see how she was or to kiss her.

Additionally I would hope that if someone saw that she was ill that they would tell me.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Time flies sometimes and when you're engrossed in a conversation you tend to lose track of things.

However, if I left my fiance in a stall the size of my kitchen pantry for an additional half an hour after I promised to get her things so we could leave, she would not be too happy about it. What the hell was this guy thinking?

Some people.


Post a Comment

<< Home