Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tip: Foreign Money Does Not Pay My Bills











You're looking at the lamest tip I have ever received. A man in his mid to late 50s gave me this and said, "Spend a week in Cambodia on this."

I promptly thanked him. The main reason was because he left in on my tip plate and I was several feet away from it. I could not see it. For a brief moment I thought it was something like a five or a ten. All I knew was that it did not resemble a one dollar bill.

After looking at my new tip I promptly wanted to kick that man in his groin. I like to think that I am familiar with the world and its economic powers. I knew damn certain that Cambodia is not one of these powers. If I had been left a Euro or a British Pound I would have at least been grateful, perhaps flattered. These currencies, at least, are worth more than the almighty U.S. Dollar.

But 100 Cambodian Riel? Do you have any idea how much this is worth? I'll tell you. According to this website (the only one that actually had the information on the rate of exchange for Cambodian Riels) the exchange rate is thus:

100 Cambodian Riels = 0.02567 U.S. Dollars

While it is interesting to see Cambodian money it's insulting to receive it as a tip. I don't know what this guy was thinking, but I'm currently having dreams that involve me shoving $0.02567 down his throat while screaming "Live on this in the U.S. for a week!"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to put up with the most unbelievable shit in your job. My heart goes out to you.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home