Saturday, September 17, 2005

Lessons from the Past


Y.E.L.R.A. got off rather late last night. A party comprised of somewhere around 100 people came to whoop it up at the ol' place of employment. Usually it's not a bad thing, but there were a few unique things about this party. First, they worked at another restaurant across town. Which leads to number two: since they are restaurant people, the party was not scheduled to start until around 10pm.

Now, we all know that when a party is scheduled to start at a certain time, most people don't arrive until an hour or so later. This makes for a late night and a tired Y.E.L.R.A.

In retrospect, I'm pissed.

I was not told that this party was happening until around 7:30. My manager, matter of factly, tells me that there is going to be a large party of around 50-75 and I'm probably going to stay until it ends. Usually it's not a problem. I don't mind staying late. However, since I do use public transportation and most of the reliable public transportation shuts down around 1am I was forced to find an alternative transport home.

This was not my managers fault, though. He had just found out at the same time. What was intended to be a small party escalated. Much to everyone's surprise, someone from the other restaurant dropped off a large quantity of alcohol to be consumed by the revellers at around 6:45. It was a lot of alcohol. They then informed the manager of the amount of people that were really coming. Clearly they took advantage of the restaurant and its staff. This doesn't even take into account the amount of money the restaurant potentially lost in alcohol sales, which is really none of my concern.

There is an understanding between people in the restaurant business. It's kind of a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" concept. Restaurant people all deal with the same bullshit from customers and there is a sense of sympathy among each other. It's a fraternal feeling, something akin to soldiers who have fought in the trenches. Restaurant people take care of each other.

Early in the evening I was excited to host this large group of fellow restaurant people. I've talked to employees of other restaurants that are located nearby ours. They are possibly the nicest people I've ever met. I thought I could really enjoy this party.

I didn't enjoy it.

None of these people were friendly. Additionally, none of them tipped me. Of course, they are not required to tip me, but it's a nice feeling when someone does. A dollar to say, "yeah, I've been there, too."

I used to wait tables. I used to hang out with all my co-workers and party afterwards. I'm now reminded why I stopped hanging out with my co-workers. There a big chunk of people that are alcoholics and drug abusers in the restaurant business. You think I'm exaggerating? Ask anyone who has ever worked in the business. People will tell you horror stories . Restaurant people are an amoral micro community that sleeps with each other, drink constantly, and consume large quantities of narcotics. Kinda like Hollywood, but not as much money.

Note to self: Finish school. Also look into changing name of blog to "Confessions of a Misanthropic Restroom Attendant."

2 Comments:

Blogger EarthMother said...

Hi. Stumbled across your blog. It's cook and enjoyed reading some of the entries (well actually, I only read some of the entries, but enjoyed them all). I'm a bit confused though ... I take it you're male, so how is it that guests who are female are in the washroom with you?

10:59 AM  
Blogger EarthMother said...

Ignore my question ... I went into your archives and cleared up the confusion myself. Sorry ...
Again, nice blog site.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home